To mark cyber security awareness month Anglian Water is sharing its handy hints and tips to help customers stay safe online.
The company already regularly warns customers of the dangers of bogus callers – people who knock on doors and pose as Anglian Water employees – but staying safe online is just as important to make sure you don’t fall victim to scammers targeting people online.
Anglian Water’s top tips for staying safe online:
- Get up to speed with common and current scams at: cyberstreetwise.com
- Make sure your passwords for any online accounts are hard to crack. Use a mix of letters, numbers and symbols – long phrases, using a combination of these, are best. Never use the same password twice.
- Beware of phishing emails. They may look tempting but they are after your information. Think before you click and never click on a link from a sender you don’t know or you don’t trust.
- When shopping online or making a payment online, check the security of the website by making sure the web address uses “https://”. The “s” stands for secure.
- Keep all your software updated on your laptop, home computer and even your mobile phone, so you have the latest security protection available. Turn on automatic updates so you don’t have to think about it, and make sure that your anti-virus software is set to run regular scans.
By following these simple steps, you’ll help to protect yourself from online fraudsters who may be trying to obtain your personal details or bank account information to commit cyber crime.
Cyber crime is on the rise, and according to the government figures there were 5.5million cases of cyber crime and fraud recorded across the UK last year. You’re 4.5 times more likely to fall victim to a cyber crime than criminal damage, with almost 10 per cent of the adult population reporting having been a victim of some form of cyber crime.
Sarah Dobson from Anglian Water said: “We already regularly tell our customers to keep safe at home through our bogus caller campaigns but with increasing numbers of customers paying their water bill online, it is just as important that we all keep ourselves cyber safe too.
“This month is Cyber Awareness month so it is a great time to refresh yourself on some handy hints and tips to make sure you don’t fall victim to an online scam.
“If a customer has any doubts about a contact through their telephone or via email from any company then it is best to contact that company directly. Anglian Water can be contacted using 03457 145 145, our customer contact staff will be able to check and make sure the call or email are genuine and will be able to advise you on any work going on in your area.”